Monday, January 31, 2011

Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy

1 medium to small onion, mostly chopped with about 1/4 cup diced
1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin and ground turkey mix or ground turkey
1 package fresh mushrooms, sliced or quartered (about 2 cups sliced)
About 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms diced
1/3 cup red wine or marsala wine
2 cups beef broth, low-sodium
About 1 T arrowroot powder
1 t red wine vinegar
Black pepper, sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder
Parsley, about 2 T fresh chopped or dry 1T

In a large bowl, combine the ground beef and/or turkey with the diced onion, diced mushrooms, parsley, and seasonings. Form patties (about 5 or 6 per pound, 1/2 inch thick). Cook over medium to medium-high heat about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.

Rinse pan if necessary. Add olive oil and saute chopped onions and mushrooms until onions are soft. Add beef broth and seasonings, bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Mix about 2 T wine with 1 T arrowroot powder in a small cup (at room temperature) and add to broth. Cook and stir until thick, about 3 minutes. Add remaining wine and hamburger patties back to pan and sprinkle with red wine vinegar. Cook about 10 minutes or longer if necessary.

Comments: This is a pretty easy dinner other than making the hamburger patties, which does take some time. My husband said this meal was awesome and our six-year old loved it too. We served with Ms. Scratch.Love's roasted sweet potatoes, which is a new family favorite, and Hot Green Beans (boil green beans about 10-15 minutes, drain, add to pan with olive oil, salt, pepper, and hot seeds, and saute until done). I had intended to make the mascarpone mashed potatoes or some similar russet potato recipe; however, when I looked in the refrigerator we only had one potato left. I also have to comment about the use of red meat in these burgers. We do not eat much ground beef and the flavor was very strong to me. If you are used to eating ground turkey, I would suggest just using that with the beef gravy because the red meat may be too strong of a flavor if you haven't had it in a while.

These are my husband's favorite green beans and as you can see in the photo below, he did not leave many for me.



I had over 3 lbs of meat to use up tonight, so we made about 25 patties and I ended up taking turns simmering them in the sauce, which is why there is so much sauce in this photo (first batch). My husband ate four and I sent several over to my dad's, so it worked out well, but if you follow the recipe above, I don't believe you will have so much mushroom gravy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...