Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Chicken Cashew Curry

This is a simple, delicious curry with the use of ground cashews to thicken the sauce.


Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter or ghee
2 medium onions, diced - about two cups onions
3 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
3 tbsp curry powder
2 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 to 1.25 pounds boneless, skinless chicken (breasts, thighs, etc) - cut into chunks (about 1/2 to 1 inch)
2 cups diced tomatoes plus 1/2 cup water or stock
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 cup cashews, soaked and dried - grind in a food processer until fine
3/4 cup plain, Greek yogurt (one container)
2 cups cooked rice


How To:
1. Heat butter in 5 to 6 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and ginger and stir, cooking until soft, about five minutes. Add curry powder, salt, cumin, and cayenne and cook about two minutes, stirring.

2. Add chicken and cook, stirring to coat, about five minutes. Add tomatoes including juices and 1/2 cup water or stock. Add chopped parsley. Simmer, then reduce heat, cover and cook about 15-20 minutes (until chicken is done).

3. Add ground cashews and yogurt and simmer about five minutes until sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.

Serves about 4-6, takes about 30 to 45 minutes to cook and prepare.


Comments:
The original recipe is at the following link, but I've modified it a bit. This came highly recommended from my friends and favorite foodies, Steve and LeAnn. I am so happy I tried this recipe. Everyone in the family enjoyed it. I serve over rice, and Steve and LeAnn recommend basmati. Any type will be great.

You should note that the original recipe uses cilantro and not parsley. I don't care for cilantro, so have substituted parsely instead. However, if you are a cilantro type, then I would suggest using that instead of the parsley.

Finally, when you soak your cashews be sure not to soak for more than six hours as they have a tendency to become slimy if you do so.

 
Follow me on Facebook or find me on Google+.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...