Sunday, October 9, 2011

Steel Cut Cinnamon Apple Oats with Flax and Nuts

This is a recipe modified only slightly from Dr. Hyman's amazing book, Ultrametabolism. His original recipe is one of the first recipes I tried when I changed to a whole foods, unprocessed life-style and I had never had steel cut oats before. And now, nearly ten years later, this is still one of my favorites. I encourage you to give it a try - it is really quick and easy.


Ingredients:
1 cup water
Sea salt to taste (a small pinch), optional
1/4 cup steel cut oats, try Bob's Red Mill
1 apple with skin, diced (you will only need about half the apple to cook into the oats, reserve the other half to sprinkle on top or eat, sliced rather than diced, on the side) ** I use Gala apples because they are high in antioxidants and very tasty.
1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, reserve some to sprinkle on top
1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
A handful of chopped nuts, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, etc. I typically use walnuts, but the picture below shows pecans and this version was equally good.

How To:
1. Boil Water & Add Oats - Bring the water and salt, if using, to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in the oats and boil until the oats begin to thicken, about five minutes.
2. Simmer & Add Apples - Reduce the heat to low (slow simmer), stir in apples and cinnamon and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until you have a desired consistency.
3. Garnish & Eat - After transferring to a serving bowl, sprinkle with cinnamon, ground flaxseeds, remaining chopped apples, and nuts.

Comments:
This is one-fourth the original recipe (a single serving), so you could easily double and quadruple. I've always made the single serving, but I think if you are making a larger amount your oat cooking time will be longer, up to about 40 minutes maximum based on the instructions in the original recipe. This is one of my favorite breakfast recipes, really filling and delicious and so good for you.

 
Follow me on Facebook or Google+!

4 comments:

  1. A delicious, hearty breakfast and simple too. Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear that - this is definitely one of my favorates especially for fall. :)

      Delete
  2. I love steel cut oats. Thanks for linking up to Healthy 2Day Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...