Saturday, February 11, 2012

Cream of Mushroom Soup

Cold winter days bring out my desire to cook soups of all kinds. Cream of mushroom is such a warm, comforting soup and really pretty quick and easy to make. Also, you can make a double batch and freeze for all those recipes calling for cream of mushroom soup so you aren't tempted to buy a quick and easy, but processed "frankenfood" can of the "old standby". This soup calls for simple yet nourishing ingredients and I really think you'll love the creaminess and wonderful flavor.



Ingredients:
2 packages of sliced white mushrooms (about 1 lb. total)
1/2 cup of butter (or ghee), softened or melted
1/2 cup of heavy cream or whole milk
1 cup stock
1/2 onion, chopped roughly
3-4 cloves of garlic
3-4 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
Sea salt & pepper, to your taste

How To:
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the mushrooms, butter/ghee for cooking, onions, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and salt/pepper. Sauté for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are softened and have reduced in size.


2. Transfer to a food processer along with the remaining ingredients--cream and stock. Blend until smooth and creamy. 

Comments: I am big on using my stock in as many recipes as possible, which is another bonus of this simple and delicious soup. This recipe makes about four cups. I will eat this as is or use in recipes that call for cream of mushroom soup, like this Hamburger Stroganoff.


 
Follow me on Facebook or Google Plus!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...