Monday, November 26, 2012

Pumpkin Pancakes with Cinnamon Crumb Topping

I usually don't really care to make pancakes. For one thing, they take forever and mine always turn out funny looking. Now, in all honesty, part of my problem, I am sure, is that I refuse to use a pancake griddle. So, instead, I am trying to cram these tiny pancakes in a skillet with rounded sides and gravity takes over and the result is these funny oval-shaped things. The other reason I don't care to make pancakes is because, normally, I don't think they taste all that great for so much work involved in making them.

Well, this is not any old pancake recipe. This is a super amazing pumpkin pancake recipe and, despite everything I mentioned above, these pancakes are totally worth it. I have to thank Two Peas and Their Pod for the inspiration for this recipe. Go check out their recipe though for really slick looking pictures.


Ingredients:
Cinnamon Crumb Topping
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
6 tbsp. cold butter, cut into chunks

Pancakes - Dry Ingredients
3/4 cup spelt flour, I used this one
1/2 cup oat flour, I used this one
2 tbsp. coconut sugar, I used this one
2 tsp. baking powder, I used this one
1/4 tsp. sea salt or Real Salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. ground cloves

Pancakes - Wet Ingredients
1 cup whole milk, you can use soured raw milk
1/2 cup pureed pumpkin, I used this
1 large pasture egg
2 tbsp. melted butter, I used this one
1 tsp. vanilla extract, make your own


How To:
1. Crumb Ingredients: In a small to medium bowl, combine the crumb topping ingredients and mix together with your hands or a fork until you have a crumbly mixtures. Set aside.
 
 
2. Wet & Dry Ingredients: Combine wet ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside. Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl and then add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, a little at a time, and whisk until combined. If the batter is not thin enough, add a little more milk until it is.
 
Wet Ingredients
 
Dry Ingredients
 
Combined - I had to add a little more milk to this batter
 
3. Cook Pancakes: Prepare a griddle or large skillet with a little butter or ghee and then drop 2-3 tbsp of batter onto heated surface. Sprinkle on about a 1/2 tbsp of crumb topping. Cook over medium low heat until bubbles begin to form, about 3-5 minutes, and then flip. Cook another 3-5 minutes until golden brown and then serve with another 1/2 tbsp of crumb topping on top.
 
 
Comments:
This makes about 10-12 delicious, fluffy pancakes that are about 3-4 inches in diameter. Serve warm with any extra topping, butter, and/ or maple syrup as desired. The official taste tester (7-year old) asked for seconds THREE times.
 

Keep in mind they are not quick to do. You can get all the ingredients ready in about 20 minutes but then you have cook time. It's about 8-10 minutes per "group" of pancakes so I made two at a time (in a skillet) and felt like I was standing there forever. A griddle would probably improve the process. Totally worth it though. I am freezing the leftovers. I think they will do just fine.
 
Follow me on Facebook or Google Plus!
 

This recipe has been shared at Natural Living Mondays and Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm.

6 comments:

  1. Well I for one, am a self proclaimed pancake connoisseur! Our family is always reinventing the pancake. I have to be careful not to turn my blog into "Our Rustic Pancake life" LOL. I think these look fabulous and I might just make them in the morning! Thanks for posting even though your not a pancake fan, and by the way, I think the pictures are great and they look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good to know! Now I'll be looking for super easy pancake recipes to make from your blog! :)

      Delete
  2. These sound really good! I love the idea of the crunch topping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They taste even better than they look. The little one asked me again today if I would make them for breakfast again. :) That's always a good sign.

      Delete
  3. What's not to like? We would enjoy these for breakfast...I love the idea of the Cinnamon Crumb Topping....yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment! I think you will really enjoy them. :)

      Delete

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...