Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Sourdough Dinner Rolls

I have this lovely sourdough starter from Cultures for Health that has been living happily on my kitchen counter for the last month providing me with countless pancakes, some dense bread (darn it, still haven't found my "go to" recipe yet), and some absolutely wonderful buttery rolls.

You still have time to make them before thanksgiving and they are pretty easy with minimal fuss. They are really delicious! It is easy to keep a sourdough starter (I promise)! - please check out my Quick Start Guide for more information.



Ingredients:
1/2 cup sourdough starter
3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour (or a combination, for example, 2 cups all-purpose and 1 cup spelt or Einkorn flour)
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tbsp. coconut sugar
1 pasture egg
5 tbsp. butter, softened, plus 2 tbsp. butter, melted
2/3 cup warm water
 
How To:
1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients above. You will want to mix the dry ingredients together first and then add the starter, egg, butter, and water.
 
2. Using your hands, knead until you have a soft dough. You probably want to shoot for about 15 minutes, but in all honesty, I usually can only make it 5 or so minutes (I have no patience!) and that is fine. As soon as my dough has a smooth texture, I knead for a few more minutes and then I'm done. However, keep in mind that the texture will be better if you knead longer.
 
Done kneading; dough just settled in for the day. All it's missing is its towel.
 
3. In the same bowl, cover the dough with plastic wrap and a big towel, place in a warm spot, and allow to rise about 4 to 6 hours until approximately doubled in size.
 
4. After the dough has risen, add a little flour (the dough will be a bit more moist) and knead lightly. Just a few times. Then, cut into 16 buns and shape into approximate balls. Use a little extra butter to grease your tins and place your dough balls into greased muffin tins. Brush each with melted butter. Then, cover with plastic wrap and a big towel and let rise another 2-3 hours.
 
Just before the second rise
 
Just after the second rise, puffier.
 
5. As they rise, they will puff up and out of the tins. Remove the towel and plastic wrap and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from the oven and immediately turn them out of the muffin tins and let cool. Brush with additional butter, if you like, or serve as is.
 
Done baking. See how they've puffed up even more?
 
Comments:
Yum! My husband swears they are better the next day. This is an all day project, like any sourdough bread, but well worth it. You can store any uneaten buns in an airtight container for several days or freeze for longer storage.
 
In case you were wondering, the starter I am currently maintaining is a Parisian starter and I am very happy with it. Also, I have made this recipe with all unbleached flour and 2 cups unbleached with 1 cup whole wheat and they are both very good. I think any combination would be great. The pictures show a version with 1 cup wheat.
 
Yep, I like lots of butter.... !!
 
Follow me on Facebook or Google Plus!

This post was shared at Real Food Wednesday and Show and Share Wednesday. Please follow the links for more great recipe ideas.

1 comment:

Please say hello and let me know what you think! I read all my comments and would love to hear from you.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...